A simple yet delectable cake this is! Brings back my childhood memories of Britannia fruit cakes.
I have been on a cooking spree today after days. This is the second post in a row, so I am not going to talk a lot and get straight to the recipe. 🙂
Ingredients for Eggless Tutti Frutti Cake
- All Purpose Flour (APF) – 1.5 cups or 300 gms
- Yogurt – 1 cup or 200 ml
- Baking powder – 1.25 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Unsaltet butter (softened) – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Powdered sugar – 3/4 cup or 180 gms
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Tutti frutti – 1/2 cup/ 100 gm
- APF to cover tutti frutti – 1 tsp
- Bread crumbs – 2 tsp
- Butter to grease the pan
Method for Eggless Tutti Futti Cake
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees C.
- Grease the baking pan with butter and dust the pan with bread crumbs (to the base and sides of the pan).
- Add 1 tsp APF to the tutti frutti mix. This is to ensure that the tutti frutti doesn’t settle at the bottom of the cake. Set the mixture aside.
- Sieve together flour, baking soda, baking powder and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar well; add yogurt and honey. Beat again until smooth.
- Add half of the sieved flour to the liquid ingredients and gently fold with the help of a spatula. Add the remaining and gently fold the mixture again. Do not over do; we need some air in the batter.
- Add the tutti frutti mixture and the vanilla essence. Fold in gently.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 30-35 mins at 180 degrees C. the baking time may vary with different ovens so do a toothpick test to check if the cake is done.
- Keep the cake (in the pan itself) on the wire rack for 15 mins and let it cool down.
- Run a knife all through the sides of the pan and invert the cake on a serving plate. It should come out easily.
- Enjoy with tea or coffee.
- I have kept it simple, but you can add some punch by adding orange or lemon zest to the batter.
- To bake this cake in a microwave, preheat the microwave oven in convection mode for 10 minutes at 180 C. Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes at the same temperature in convection mode. Again, as I mentioned in the main recipe, do a toothpick test to see if the cake is done in set time. It really varies with different baking appliances.