The most beautiful place in Sweden, which I have visited so far, is Gotland. It is one of the Unesco Heritage sites. I can go there any number of times. Everything is so beautiful and serene, water is so clean, the mountains so majestic, the old town has such a vintage feeling. Let me show you a picture to give you an idea of how beautiful it is.
I can go on and on about it’s beauty. But, the blog is not about Gotland, it’s about food :). Well, I am getting there. This dessert is a specialty of Gotland and is served with a special jam made of salmbär, which is found only in Gotland. However, people on the mainland have it with other kinds of jam such as blueberry jam. Well, human beings are capable of finding a substitute for literally everything 😉
Gotland’s Saffranspannkaka is very close to people who live in Gotland or have lived there sometime in their life and people like me who just love Gotland.
Ingredients for Gotland’s Saffranspannkaka
- 150 gm cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 packet of saffron
- 2 large eggs
- 500 risgrynsgröt or rice pudding (you can also use grötris or round rice to make the pudding; check the method at the bottom of the page.)
- 8-10 almond (silvered and chopped)
- 8-10 raisins
- Butter for greasing
- Whipped cream and salmbär for serving.
Method for Gotland’s Saffranspannkaka
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Beat together the cream, sugar, saffron and eggs in a bowl.
- Add the risgrynsgröt, almonds, and raisins.
- Grease a baking dish (about 20 x 30 inches) and pour in the batter.
- Bake in lower rack of oven for about 30 minutes. Do the toothpick test to check if it is baked properly.
- Serve warm or cold with salmbär jam and whipped cream* and enjoy!
- I served it with only salmbär jam this time.
To make your own risgrynsgröt, you need:
- 500 gms Grötris as it is called in Swedish or simply some round rice. My take is that the rice has to be thick and not sleek like basmati.
- 200-250 ml Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 150 ml Milk
Now, do the following:
- Cook the rice in salted water for about 10 minutes.
- Add milk and cook another 45 minutes, stirring over low heat. Let the porridge to cool slightly.