All my friends and relatives know that I am a paneer lover. A die hard fan. It is one thing that never fails me. But, strange enough that I haven’t posted any of paneer recipe’s on the blog. May be I take it for granted. Well, that is the first sign of how much I love it. The sign of it being an integral part of my life.
The trigger for this recipe, however, is the regular complaints from the love of my life. He has been complaining that the food at our home is getting boring day by day. Well, the real reason is that he has not been given the chance to be my guinea pig since a few weeks. So, it is obvious that things would look dull and boring, won’t they? 🙂
I wanted to use this opportunity to try a recipe that I picked from one of the food groups that I am a member of. Jaspal (a fellow member) shared this recipe long ago and since then I have been meaning to try it. So, here is a customized version of his infamous paneer in coconut gravy.
Ingredients for paneer in coconut gravy
- Paneer (cut in cubes) – 200 gms
- Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
- Urad dal – 2 tsp
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 medium
- Coconut milk – 150 ml
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger powder – 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Red chili paste – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Garlic (minced) – 2 tsp
- Water – ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander to garnish
Method for paneer in coconut gravy
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add minced garlic.
- Saute’ for a minute; add the red chili paste and ½ cup of water. Mix well and saute until the oil separates.
- In another pan, heat the remaining oil.
- Add mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Add urad dal and stir until the dal turns light brown (do this on low heat so that the dal doesn’t burn).
- Now, add onion and stir until the onion turns translucent.
- Add salt, ginger powder, black pepper, red chili paste and mix well. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Add sugar & coconut milk and mix well. Bring it to a boil and simmer for a few minutes until the gravy is of desired consistency.
- Add cumin powder; mix well.
- Finally, add the paneer cubes and let it cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with chapatis, paranthas or rice.