I and Abhishek love Gajar ka Halwa, we can literally have it any day. But, good carrots are not available all the year round. So what! Beetroots are 🙂 What started as a mere experiment, became our all time favorite. You won’t believe, my sweet jawed husband likes it even more than the gajar ka halwa now.
Here is what you need:
- Beet root – 1 kg
- Ricotta cheese or khoya – 250 gm
- Milk – 500 ml
- Sugar – 1 1/2 cups
- Silvered almonds for garnishing
- Peel and grate the beetroots.
- Pressure cook to one whistle.
- Open the lid and let it cook for 15 minutes. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
- Add sugar and milk.
- Let it cook on medium flame for another 15-20 minutes or until the milk is absorbed.
- Add ricotta cheese and cook for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with silvered almonds and serve hot.
Sometimes the beets are not juicy enough and may taste more pungent. In such a case, taste the halwa and add sugar and milk. You can even add cream.