Mr. Dhokla goes to Europe!
He took a flight from India, picking up gram flour and semolina. Had a connecting flight from italy, so it decided to spend some time in the food market. Picked some rosemary and olive oil. Then took the flight to Stockholm and met Bhawna. She had some mustard, broccoli and tomatoes.
Now, because both of them met after a long time and were hungry, they wanted to make something that depicted how well they gel together, so did some brain scratching and made this Dhokha.
And, voila it was so much fun hanging out together.
- Semolina – 1 cup
- Gram Flour – 1 cup
- Yogurt – 2 cups
- Sugar – 8 tsp or more, if you like it sweet
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Red chili powder – to taste
- Tomato puree – 2 tbsp
- Broccoli – 8-10 small florets
- Lemon – 1
- Fruit Salt/Eno – 1 sachet
- Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
- Rosemary – 1 tbsp
- Olive oil – 1 tsp and some for greasing
- Water – 2 cups
Method for Dhokla
- In a bowl, mix Semolina, gram flour, yogurt, sugar (5 tsp), salt (1 tsp), red chilli powder, tomato puree, and juice of half lemon.
- Mix them well.
- Grease a microwave bowl and set aside.
- Add the fruit salt (I use ENO) and give a gentle stir to the batter.
- Add ¾ of the batter to the greased microwave pan.
- Push in the Broccoli florets 2 inches apart. The idea is to have one broccoli per piece.
- Pour in the remaining batter.
- Microwave it for 8-10 minutes.
- Apply the toothpick trick to check if the Dhokla cake is ready yet. Insert the toothpick in the batter area and not in Broccoli.
Note: Make sure you add ENO just before keeping the bowl in microwave; else the dough may not rise well.
- While the dhokla cake is in the making, you can prepare the tempering.
- Heat a pan on gas stove.
- Add olive oil.
- Add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start to crackle, add rosemary.
- Add water, sugar (3 tsp), salt (1 tsp), and juice of half lemon.
- Let the water boil for 2-3 minutes, and you are done with the preparation. All we are left to do is the assembly.
- To assemble, cut the Dhokla into square pieces and let it cool down a bit. While you do this the syrup you prepared will also cool down. Pour the syrup on to the Dhokla pieces and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes. And, you are done.
Enjoy the new avatar of Dhokla!