It’s my third Wedding Anniversary today and to mark the day, I wanted to make something new. I have been meaning to bake an orange cake since some time and thought it would be the perfect occasion. I referred to a Swedish food store blog for the recipe, but have used only the ingredients I had in my kitchen, as always 🙂 But, the zing was no less than any other awesome cake.
Ingredients for Orange Cake
- All purpose flour – 250 g
- Baking Powder – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 150 g
- Eggs – 3
- Sugar – 120 gm
- Orange zest from 2 oranges
- Orange juice – 60 ml (You can use fresh orange juice or any store bought juice, i used Innocent orange juice with bits)
- Butter and breadcrumbs to coat the baking tin
- Icing sugar
- Sugar pearls – I used Dr. Oetker’s golden decoration pearls
- Orange pieces
Method for Orange Cake
- Preheat oven 180 C and grease a round baking pan. Sprinkle breadcrumbs to cover the pan.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder in a bowl and keep aside.
- In another bowl, beat butter and sugar together until soft fluffy. You can do it using a hand blender or an electric one. If using the hand blender, the hint is to keep whisking until you don’t hear the sugar crushing. Got this tip from my a very close Swedish friend. Well she is my extra mother 🙂
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time then mix in the zest, juice and flour. Blend together.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for about an hour.
- Remove the cake from the pan and leave to cool.
- When the cake has completely cooled off, takes about an hour depending on the weather, sprinkle the sugar using a sieve.
- Put some golden sugar pearls in the center forming a circle and put the orange pieces around, forming a wheel. And, you are done!
- I served it with coconut ice cream and it tasted awesome!!! Enjoy the zing!
Leave a Reply