Spanakorizo – Greek Spinach Rice
This is a long due post! About a month ago, I did a Greek cuisine day at home. I like celebrating cuisines, so I try and span the dishes through the day starting from the breakfast. So, on this day, I started my day with the No knead Filmjölk olive bread and black bean hummus. I will post the recipe some day. (I am a lazy bitch ;))
Anyways! for the lunch, I wanted to do something simple as I was expecting some guests for the dinner and I obviously had to focus more on the dinner. But, that doesn’t mean I will compromise on the lunch. More because I had to prepare something for the cuisine of the month going on a group of blogger friends where the host selects a cuisine and we all make one dish from that kitchen. I was the host this month and I decided on Greek as the cuisine of the month. So, here it is, a very humble Greek dish. Simple and from the everyday life of Greek kitchen: Spanakorizo – Greek Spinach Rice. My recipe is inspired by a greek blog that i love, The Greek Vegan.
Ingredients for Spanakorizo
- Spinach – 200 gm (frozen, but thawed and drained). You can happily use the fresh one. But you’ll need to saute it until wilted.
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Onion – 1 big (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 1 tbsp (minced)
- Fresh Dill Or fresh chopped mint – 2 tbsp (you can also use a combination of both)
- Oregano – 1 tbsp
- Rice – 250 gm (medium grain)
- Water – 500 ml (approx)
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper – 1tsp
- Tomato paste – 4 tbsp
Method for Spanakorizo
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and sauté onions and garlic gently over low heat.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano and dill or mint. Mix well.
- Mix the tomato paste in 50 ml of warm water and add to the pan. Give it a gentle stir.
- Now, add rice and cook for 5 minutes stirring often. Slightly lower the heat to avoid rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Next, add spinach and the water to pan, mix well and bring it to a low boil. You may increase the heat a bit.
- Once it starts boiling, lower the heat to the lowest temperature and let it simmer with the pan lid on.
- Cook for approximately 30 minutes or until cooked.
- Garnish with some fresh herbs. I used parsley. Enjoy!!
Leave a Reply